The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news, and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. We are based in New York and are an operating business of IAC.
We’re looking for a creative problem solver to run our email and push notification products. Across both products, this person will have the chance to define overall strategy and partner with teams across the business to make it happen.
Email – specifically brand newsletters and email marketing – are both already core parts of our business, impacting everything from how we share the latest news with our readers to being a key part of the marketing funnel for our membership program. Push notifications are a newer product for us that have already proven to be a popular way for readers to engage with our reporting.
The ideal candidate is equal parts analytical and creative, easily context-shifting between pivot tables, developing user journeys, and gathering product requirements. We’re looking for this person to really be an internal expert for email and push. This means cultivating an ongoing understanding of what’s happening in the industry, championing the value of email and push products to support overall business goals, and keeping us focused on user value in everything we do.
This person will report to the SVP Strategy & Growth, Standalone Products and will work with an existing newsletter product team member. You’ll be joining a small but growing and impactful group in the overall product team focused on growth and strategy.
What you’ll do:
- Define and continually iterate strategy to grow our free newsletter and push notification subscriber lists against clearly defined KPIs
- Identify opportunities for new cross-platform subscriber acquisition methods, including on-site messaging, referral programs, etc.
- Deepen user engagement (and value) across both products (email, push), optimizing key metrics like CTR and churn across products
- Manage the full post-acquisition subscriber user flow, focusing on deepening engagement and converting to registered users and paid subscribers
- Oversee a testing roadmap to drive growth across both products (email, push), including partnering with the Data & Insights team to design and implement testing frameworks
- Lead exploration and operationalizing of new newsletter products in partnership with newsroom
- Manage overall email list health and protect domain reputation/deliverability, including lifecycle campaigns and email marketing efforts
- Own all email- and push-related reporting and insights, from establishing clear methods for KPI reporting and surfacing actionable insights
- Partner with data, product, marketing, revenue, and newsroom teams on everything from strategy and execution to testing and optimization
- Manage consistent communication of product and testing performance to key stakeholders, including executive leadership
- 4-6 years experience in a growth function, ideally focused on newsletter/email products
- Comfortable owning the whole strategic process, from problem definition and research to stakeholder alignment around strategic recommendations and managing execution with cross-functional teams
- Strong understanding of and experience with content strategy and production, whether with a journalistic newsroom or other creative operation
- Comfortable pulling data across multiple platforms and using those ﬁndings to inform strategy and future tests
- Experience running multivariate tests across various platforms (onsite, email, paid) and optimizing based on results
- Can confidently and effectively contribute to both quantitative and qualitative tasks
- Ability to collaborate across teams and projects without senior oversight
- Impeccable attention to detail
- A deep interest in or passion for the business of media
- A voracious news diet and appetite for current aﬀairs, pop culture, and internet trends
- Experience with ESPs like Sailthru, Mailchimp, etc.
- Proﬁciency in Google Analytics, Microsoft Excel, Google’s G Suite
- This position is NY-based, with a flexible hybrid return to office/WFH policy