The Email Strategist supports San Diego Zoo Global's mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Email Strategist assists in leading and managing mass market fundraising, sales, and stewardship campaigns through innovative email communications and other digital tactics. This includes developing online strategies, project managing various outreach campaigns, creating strategic email programs, ensuring data hygiene best practices, and analyzing complex data to increase revenue and the ROI of projects for SDZG's Membership Program, Monthly Giving Program, and other miscellaneous organizational initiatives. This position reports to the Director of Membership.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Along with the Director of Membership, creates strategies for email marketing and fundraising appeals, integrated digital advertising campaigns, stewardship correspondence, member alerts, and surveys.
- Researches emerging online giving trends, optimization strategies, technologies, and innovative fundraising techniques including the use of social media platforms.
- Conducts and shares data analysis of email, web, digital advertising, and social media performance.
- Assists with development and implementation of ongoing email capture strategies, including advocacy programs, list building campaigns, and engagement of current email subscribers.
- Assists in the establishment of operating objectives and key performance indicators for email and digital revenue, including engagement, acquisition, and conversion.
- Develops, tests, and implements optimization strategies to improve email, web, digital advertising, and social media performance related to organizational goals.
- Traffics digital assets, approvals, and complex requests from multiple departments.
- Devises new digital tactics and strategies to acquire potential donors, increase online followers, and build ongoing communication with current supporters and prospects.
- Works with various departments to coordinate email and digital communication efforts related to sales, membership, and other fundraising programs and projects.
- Monitors online contribution and activity to the fundraising web and donation pages.
- Manages email and digital campaign production, list segmentation, and digital testing.
- Partners with the Communications Team to draft compelling persuasive marketing and fundraising content for membership and monthly donor fundraising emails, websites, advocacy petitions, advertisements, and social media communications.
- Maintains the integrated online membership and fundraising appeal email and correspondence calendar to fully understand the member’s digital communication experience.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Global is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
- Five years of experience in digital marketing or direct response marketing required.
- Specialized training should include professional experience in a non-profit organization, fundraising, or content marketing (preferred).
- Experience developing email and digital campaigns for non-profit fundraising, advocacy, donor engagement, or a target-driven direct response agency preferred.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in communication or marketing required.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Email and digital fundraising strategies including SEO, SEM, Google grants, peer-to-peer fundraising, crowdfunding, lead generation through social channels, and digital advertising.
- Website and other analytic tools, email marketing, and project management.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, Luminate Online, Google Tag Strategist, Google Analytics, and Photoshop.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge, HTML, CSS, Adobe Acrobat, and Dreamweaver.
- Digital marketing trends and mechanisms to stay up to date on latest advancements.
- Fundraising content creation tactics and best practices, including grammar and editing rules.
- Analyze data to find inefficiencies, problem solve issues, and improve digital performance.
- Remain adaptable to changing priorities and meet deadlines for business needs.
- Collaborate and work effectively with others in a diverse team environment.
- Lead implementation of email segmentation and quality review of targeted audiences.
- Perform competitive research and make strategic recommendations to management.
- Oversee production and quality assurance of digital assets.
- Outstanding communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Pay attention to detail and have effective organizational skills.
- Work well under pressure and handle multiple time-sensitive tasks.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
Location: Mission Valley
Exempt Position: Salary is commensurate with experience