Job Title: Email Strategist
Location: Headquarters, New York, NY; Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Los Angeles, CA; Washington, DC
Reports To: Communications Director
FLSA Status: Exempt/ Full-Time
Union Status: Grade 3
Are you a strong writer who can effortlessly break down policy while driving people to act in pithy and inspiring copy? Well then, we are looking for YOU. You are a detail-oriented, right-brain/left-brain professional who loves to make emails that people want to open. The Email Manager is a key member of Lambda Legal’s Digital Team and is responsible for strategically and creatively communicating, managing, optimizing, and reporting on Lambda Legal’s email campaigns supporting advocacy and fundraising goals. This position reports directly to the Digital Director, who is based in our NYC headquarters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Be the email strategy SME for the team; Own, maintain, and execute Lambda Legal’s email marketing calendar; This includes concepting campaigns, copy writing, email builds, QA'ing templates, A/B testing, segmenting audience lists, and reporting results.
- Actively finding opportunities for Lambda Legal to use email to accomplish advocacy and fundraising goals.
- Be versed in and train others to use and be the resident expert in in the Blackbaud Marketing platforms of Luminate and Raiser's Edge.
- Play a key role in managing multiple relationships cross-functionally and represent the needs and concerns of team members across the department(s).
- Work with Digital and Communications team to set and own a unique tone and voice for Lambda Legal’s email communications.
- Strategically and creatively use email to drive growth in fundraising revenue for development and internal and external communications.
- Develop and manage acquisition campaigns that bring potential donors into a pipeline that drives further engagement and conversion.
- Responsible for integrated campaign management by coordinating the supporting assets and messaging of all email campaigns (including petitions, legislative action, fundraising/donate pages, online store, and event registration pages) with the web manager/producer.
- Design and implement A/B and multivariate split tests. Strategize forward-thinking next steps for new ways to bring new stories to our current (and new) audiences by continuously expanding on segmentation best practices that serve as benchmark tools.
- Code and test HTML emails and when problems arise, be able to efficiently troubleshoot.
- Collect and analyze email metrics and report trends and findings to different stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Ensure Lambda Legal portrays compelling, untold stories about its clients and work that encourage audiences to take action by employing dynamic writing and storytelling skills.
- A candidate must be detail-oriented, self-motivated and comfortable and adept at working with a remote manager. Someone who can and likes to work on multiple projects at a time.
- A qualified individual will have at least 4-5 years of previous email marketing experience and data analysis, along with strong proficiency in Luminate and Raiser’s Edge.
- A strong writer with a keen editorial eye who enjoys writing copy – promotional and policy-focused.
- Working at Lambda Legal requires a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to the concerns of the breadth of the communities that Lambda Legal serves. Prior work on behalf of the LGBTQ community and/or people living with HIV and/or experience working with other historically marginalized communities (in a professional or volunteer capacity) is preferred.
This position requires some regional travel; travel percentage of 20%.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, travel has been postponed until further notice.
WHO WE ARE
Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work. Since 1973, Lambda Legal has used impact litigation and other advocacy tools to decriminalize same-sex relationships; challenge discrimination against LGBTQ people and people living with HIV in the workplace, in the home, in schools, in health care, and in the military; and protect LGBTQ families, including by winning and defending marriage equality. Clients are not charged for legal representation or advocacy and Lambda Legal receives no government funding. Headquartered in New York City, Lambda Legal has regional offices in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Washington, D.C.
We believe that serving the full breadth of the LGBTQ and HIV communities requires cultural competency and enthusiasm for diversity of all kinds. To be successful, we must approach our work with an understanding that discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not the only obstacle to achieving full formal and lived equality for LGBTQ people and everyone living with HIV; rather, we recognize the intersectional nature of discrimination, specifically including biases based on race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, education, and class. In light of this reality, we prioritize awareness and proactive commitment to counteracting these biases and their compounding effects.
Kindly use the position title as the subject line of your email. All inquiries will be held in confidence. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
No calls, please. Due to the high volume of applications, Lambda Legal cannot return phone calls about the position and cannot notify all applicants of status.
Lambda Legal is committed to further building and maintaining a staff that reflects the full range of LGBTQ, HIV-affected and allied communities, and is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, transgender and gender-diverse people, women, people with abilities in multiple languages, immigrants, people living with disabilities, and individuals living with HIV are encouraged to apply.