KQED is looking for an Email Marketing Strategist to join the Audience Development team. Reporting to the Director of Digital Engagement, this role is responsible for driving optimized email initiatives that promote user engagement and conversion. The role works closely with team members across the marketing, membership, corporate sponsorship and content teams to coordinate and manage campaign initiatives, and deliver a best-in-class audience experience. The Email Marketing Strategist acts as a subject matter expert on email best practices and makes strategy recommendations based on performance analytics. The right candidate is a blend of strategic thinker and executor—being able to think three steps ahead while still getting the day-to-day work done.
One of our core values at KQED is that we are better together, and that we commit to learning, growth, and holding ourselves accountable. We value the contributions of marginalized people in society — including Black, Indigenous, and all people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people — and we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, and we strongly encourage members of these communities to apply.
This role will work hybrid between working in and working remotely. KQED requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or to provide documentation of a need for exemption.
- Drive strategic efforts to grow and optimize email initiatives across KQED, elevating best practices to key stakeholders, and ensuring consistency across all email marketing
- Utilize CRM and email marketing tools to build integrated campaigns, review and approve messaging, maintain email calendar, and evaluate user experience
- Collaborate with departments across KQED (Membership, MarCom, Content, Corporate Sponsorship, Audience Intelligence) to develop segmented email communications and user journeys that help drive engagement and revenue
- Work with key stakeholders to troubleshoot technical issues within email marketing tools, including Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and conduct high-level training for new team members
- Be the resident expert on email strategy and guide key stakeholders on email best practices, testing initiatives, segmentation, and overall optimization
- Own and ensure flawless 360 execution of email campaigns: From planning, briefing, segmentation definition, testing plans, lite email coding, QA, campaign set-up, to reporting
- Build out recurring email channel/campaign reporting in tandem with Audience Intelligence team and the Director of Digital Engagement. Regularly surface feedback on trends, successes, or potential areas for concern
- Research competitive landscape to identify new opportunities, and stay up to date on email best practices, including ways to center accessibility as a key component in KQED’s email strategy
Required Knowledge / Experience:
- 3 - 5 years of experience designing and managing email initiatives & strategy
- Technical experience with email marketing platforms (Salesforce Marketing Cloud a bonus)
- Basic experience coding emails (HTML, CSS, and mobile responsive email design)
- Possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated history managing multi-layered projects across various cross-functional teams, hitting milestones and achieving KPIs
- Possess a data-driven mindset, with experience defining key business metrics for email marketing and managing email experimentation
- Experience collaborating with a range of stakeholders on various projects
- Project management experience from concept to completion
Desired Knowledge / Experience:
- Basic experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Deftness in balancing customer needs with business priorities, and articulating the rationale behind decisions to the larger organization
- Possess a passion for and knowledge of email marketing technology advancements
- Possess a proactive approach in looking for opportunities where the team/business can improve whether it be efficiency, measurement or collaboration
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) with employer match. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21 st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.