Cars.com is seeking an experienced email strategist to help build our email marketing initiatives. This new team member will support the evolution of our Consumer Retention program through new, creative and data-driven strategies –while guiding car shoppers through the consumer journey.
An ideal candidate will be well versed in email best practices, testing strategies– including a focus on accessibility, cross-device behavior and troubleshooting compatibility issues. A high proficiency in email development with dynamic content utilizing large data sets is required.
You will be the go-to resource on the team for email development needs and collaborate with the team on strategy and execution. As part of the Consumer Retention team – you will work closely with the Sr. Manager & Email Strategist – to build best-in class email to grow, evolve and innovate our program.
Not only do you love email marketing, you love the technology & data used that drives the process. Thus, you have hands-on experience with Iterable (or a comparable ESP) and solid experience leading the process required to create, develop and launch new campaigns, including manipulating HTML and CSS, specifying data extensions and setting system rules.
A successful candidate in this role has an email coding background and isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves to look at the overall health of the program. An experienced marketer with a passion for understanding performance and analytics is a must.
- 30% email development: including developing new or editing existing templates, testing, troubleshooting, and doing full end-to-end testing with data integrations
- Lead development, coding and assisting the team with mobile-first interactive emails with dynamic content scripts, using HTML & CSS
- Partner with internal design team and agency partners to optimize & build best in class email templates
- Create and continuously optimize campaigns for better engagement: content, coding, personalization, and automation
- 30% strategy, innovation, & testing of existing and new campaigns, programs, & channels
- Ability to map marketing ideas to segmentation, channel, and content strategies that execute on time and deliver maximum impact
- Take a lead role in campaign optimization & launching drip campaigns, triggered sends and retargeting campaigns and testing through A/B and multivariate testing
- Recommend strategies and methodologies to improve value delivery and consumer retention/growth
- Stay up to date with email best practices, email-service provider capabilities, and capabilities for improving engagement and effectiveness of email campaigns with ongoing education
- 20% platform management, audience segmentation, and subscriber hygiene
- Manage and support the execution of email and other channels including production, QA, and launch support for segmented and triggered campaigns
- Drive and manage campaign process: data, segmentation, and list management to maximize conversion opportunities
- Partner closely with data and engineering teams to troubleshoot data/process issues and rectify issues in a timely manner
- 20% reporting & deliverability, overall program analysis
- Assist with developing presentations and communicating email strategies and performance with other teams across the organization
- Conducts weekly program analysis, researching, summarizing, and reporting results
Required Skills & Experience
- 4-6 years’ experience using Marketing Automation platform(s) required – experience with Iterable, Salesforce Marketing Cloud/Exact Target (or comparable ESP) is strongly preferred
- Proficient in HTML/CSS; coding and QA experience with dynamic content blocks pulling in large data sets preferred
- 1-2 years working with APIs and integrating solutions is preferred
- Skilled in use of Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver
- Analytical and reporting experience to provide recommendations needed to make smart, fast campaign decisions
- Working knowledge of email marketing creative and development best practices and CAN-SPAM laws
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.