The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
The Atlantic is hiring an Email Marketing Manager to help engage readers, convert prospective subscribers, and deepen relationships with existing customers. You’ll be part of our acquisition and retention team, focused on developing strategies and executing efforts to grow our subscription business.
Candidates should have experience in A/B testing, staging and deployment, and managing and refining automated campaigns. Other responsibilities include reporting on results, providing campaign recommendations and strategy, and maximizing the contribution of email marketing to the overall customer lifecycle.
- Manage ongoing email marketing campaigns using Acoustic (formerly IBM SilverPop) and SailThru
- Support email efforts with our marketing-tech stack (e.g., CDP) and testing tools
- Develop tests for promotional messages, automated drip sequences, triggered emails, and transactional correspondence
- QA outgoing messages for the proper image-to-text ratio, image-sizing, font-sizing, device-rendering, and segmentation
- Maintain list health and integration with other vendors
- Contribute to strategies that support prospect-list growth
- Analyze performance and prepare actionable recommendations to improve engagement and conversion rates
- Own email-marketing calendar, and maintain for cross-team collaboration
- Maintain ongoing backlog for A/B testing
- Experience in marketing, growth, advertising, or relevant fields (internships included)
- Prior experience managing marketing efforts in an ESP
- Foundational knowledge of email design with HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with email reporting and analysis
- Knowledge of email best practices, CAN-SPAM, GDPR, and CCPA
- Keen sense of curiosity, organized, and highly collaborative