Please note this is a Maternity Cover Contract for 12 months
In a nutshell
This role is responsible for all email marketing communications for Sainsbury’s, Argos and Tu. The role will lead the development of our email marketing strategy across our multi-brand, multi-channel business. The breadth and depth of our customer data is our biggest asset and greatest advantage over our competitors. How we leverage that data in our communications is crucially important as it allows us to be more targeted, more relevant and ultimately more effective. Email is a key channel through which we can engage and communicate with our current customer base to drive sales and brand equity. This role will be accountable for how we unlock the power of our data assets to deliver ever more personalised and effective communications into our customers’ inboxes. A key focus will be on evolving our contact strategy, refining our email creative, developing our technology capabilities and enhancing our measurement.
To achieve this you will control a significant budget which covers, agency management, email deployment, creative development and testing. Furthermore, you will manage a team 6 people, including two direct reports.
What I need to do
The specific responsibilities of this role fall into four key areas (see below) and should focus on ensuring that all our email marketing investments support our commercial, customer and brand objectives.
Strategy, Technology & Agency partners.
- Develop an email strategy across our brands that leverages the power of our first party data to deliver targeted, more relevant and ultimately more effective email marketing campaigns.
- Develop and refine our creative approach to email marketing by using data, analytics and research to understand how we are performing and identify areas for improvement.
- Own the email plan across all our brands ensuring that we tightly and effectively manage the air traffic control of our emails.
- Manage and monitor our agency partners that support email activity ensuring we are continuously challenging them to help us improve our effectiveness.
- Continuously review our agency partners to ensure we are availing of the best support
- Ownership and project management of innovation and developments to email personalisation and automation programmes
- Keep up to date with industry trends, activity and best practices with a key focus on meeting potential new partners who can support our drive for greater personalisation and automation
- Investigate new channels and opportunities that increase our ability to contact our customers in a relevant and personalised manner.
Budget management and reporting
- Ownership of all budgets associated with delivering email campaigns as well as associated agency and projects costs.
- Develop a robust reporting suite that can be used to measure the ongoing performance of our email activity and is shared broadly with key stakeholders.
- Work closely with analytics and technology teams to evolve our measurement approach, moving away from ‘last click wins’ to more sophisticated approach which incorporates incrementality, in-store sales and customer value metrics.
- Work closely with our insights team to develop qualitative research studies that help us to understand the impact of email activity on brand metrics (e.g. favourability, purchase intent etc.)
Campaign Management & Delivery
- Work across the marketing team to develop a robust and detailed email marketing plan that supports our customer plan and focuses on delivering our customer and commercial goals.
- Build relationships with other teams across marketing and trading, managing the demands on the email channel for support.
- Brief and develop email creative in accordance with Sainsbury’s, Argos and Tu brand guidelines and following the required internal approval processes
- Develop robust QA processes that ensure our campaigns are accurate, relevant and without error, ensuring customers receive the right communication, at the right time and in the right channel.
- Ensure campaigns and programmes are delivered to agreed processes, on time and on budget, and meet the required quality standards.
- Maintain a holistic record of all campaign creative and performance to aid continuous learning and improvement.
- Line management and development of a team of 6 including two direct reports (Email Marketing Executives) and for indirect reports (Email Marketing Assistants)
Success Measures Are
- Development and execution of an email strategy that delivers ever more targeted, more relevant and ultimately more effective email marketing campaigns.
- Operational excellence in supporting the customer plan through best-in-class execution of email marketing campaigns
- Deliver against commercial, customer and revenue targets associated with our email marketing program
- Evolve our approach to email marketing reporting and analysis, which in turn influences our investment decisions
- Evolve our approach to how we use agency partners and technology in the email marketing space.
What I need to know
This role is responsible for all areas of email marketing therefore some required knowledge of the following is required.
- Extensive experience of the email marketing channel and industry.
- Significant experience of working with media, technology and creative agencies to develop targeted marketing communications.
- Strong commercial acumen, confident with data and an understanding of campaign analytics across marketing channels, allowing confident management and challenge of analytics and financials
- Strong project management and organisational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
- An ability to use their knowledge of marketing, branding and creativity to develop highly impactful and creatively excellent campaigns.
What I Need To Show
- Ability to think strategically both from a customer and commercial point of view.
- A meticulous planner that is able to manage multiple projects and campaigns simultaneously
- Consistently demonstrates customer-centric, clear thinking, strong commercial acumen and is able to judge when attention to detail is important
- Strong collaboration skills and an ability to build strong relationships with a varierty of stakeholders across the business.
- Pro-actively identifies opportunities where email communications can be used to help customers and give them a better experience
- Influences and engages cross-functional stakeholders across the Sainsbury’s Group, building effective relationships to achieve desired objectives
- A self-motivated, problem solver who thrives under pressure with proven ability to deliver multiple projects at the same time
Resources available to me
- Full team of 2 x C4 and 4 x C3 colleagues
- Support from multiple agencies
- Budget of £X
What decisions I can make
- Full accountability for the allocation and deployment of the email marketing budget
- Fully accountability for defining the future technical, agency and people capabilities that we need for the next 3 years within email marketing.
- Allocation of resources within the Email marketing team against priorities