Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Content and Publications, with functional accountability to the Director, Information Technology Management (ITM), the Email Marketing Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Office of Advancement’s email marketing strategy, email data management, and marketing analysis processes. The incumbent plays a critical advisory role, working closely with Advancement staff, by providing communications analysis, including information required for strategic planning purposes, communicating progress and challenges to management, and statistical reporting on email and digital marketing.
This role’s primary function generates and deploys innovative communications that drive engagement among alumni and donors with Queen’s University through iModules and AdvanceWeb. The incumbent oversees Advancement’s email marketing strategy, including marketing automation, email marketing, digital marketing, and event registration. The manager is responsible for the overarching impact of email on other marketing functions.
The ideal candidate possesses experience with marketing automation and demonstrated success in marketing conversion strategies in compliance with applicable government legislation, in order to lead marketing automation development and execution. This includes nurture programs, automated email communications, web forms, event programs, and ad hoc requests. In this role, the incumbent executes the development, alignment, and implementation of lead scoring, nurturing, and management; is accountable for monitoring marketing automation success, working with Advancement Communications and Marketing to track and report metrics and providing guidance to improve results, as well as quarterly and annual insights and trends tracking.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Leads the development and implementation of an integrated email marketing strategy, email data management and marketing analysis processes across the Office of Advancement for diverse targeted audiences. This includes writing copy, managing the iModules email database, curating content and assets, and measuring success.
• Develops and writes policies, marketing plans, and proposals, including budget, for Advancement-wide digital and email marketing.
• Fosters inter-organizational collaboration and builds productive working relationships with faculties and teams across campus to ensure timely, personalized, accurate, and error-free communications. Identifies target audiences and builds effective email lists, sets goals, designs email templates and newsletters within brand standards, maintains the Advancement email calendar.
• Provides expertise on digital engagement and solicitation strategies for identified segments of the Queen’s community in collaboration with key partners.
• Collaborates with the Department of Annual Giving on the development of and ongoing strategic direction for digital fundraising.
• Develops and executes email re-engagement and acquisition initiatives.
• Learns and leverages our integrated online marketing software, Encompass from iModules, to manage marketing initiatives.
• Remains knowledgeable of advances and innovation in the industry and incorporates new technologies to plan and prepare for emerging evolving technologies. This includes monitoring, and recommending, new software developments that may assist in enhancing ease to execute across various platforms, and ensure compliance.
• Assesses staff training and development needs, ensuring employees receive training required to improve and sustain successful performance. Delivers training for all new individuals accessing and/or utilizing marketing software supported by the Office of Advancement. Maintains written instruction materials, regular troubleshooting, and one-to-one skills coaching. Tracks and analyzes training programs by examining data quality to identify future training needs and modify existing programs.
• Manages and coordinates digital marketing activity across Advancement by providing expert advice and recommendations, ensuring email marketing works in coherence with other marketing channels and optimizing funnel performance using email marketing.
• Ensures email and digital marketing activity is in accordance with established legislative, accessibility, privacy, Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards, and visual identity standards and web policies. Determines when to address non-compliance issues with appropriate stakeholders.
• In collaboration with ITM, manages email and event system configuration, source system feed formats, data feed analysis, and platform capabilities and each area’s impact on campaign design and deployment.
• Manages all processes for data list management, review, and integrity. Collaborates with ITM to manage email list ad hoc requests and data integration between Advancement email service provider (Encompass) and CRM (Advance), and other external CRMs.
• Applies sound data-driven principles to influence project strategy and direction from insights.
• Oversees and performs sophisticated reporting and detailed analysis of email and communication data, extracting and collecting the appropriate information as necessary to inform planning and operations for diverse campus partners.
• Researches, interprets and reviews research findings on digital marketing campaigns. Presents findings to Advancement teams. Defines measurement criteria for evaluating digital marketing, creates reports and dashboards as needed, and monitors email performance using Google Analytics, or other equivalent tools, to track effectiveness and determine ROI. Identifies areas for further integration and improvement to maximize efficiency and an enhanced user experience, and incorporates changes that will continually improve plans for future years.
• Creates and implements demand and lead generation activities, conversion programs, and marketing campaigns that provide measurable improvement in top-line and bottom-line growth and meets goals.
• Develops A/B and multivariate testing strategies, proactively monitoring marketing metrics (open rates/click-through/deliverability/etc.) and optimizing campaigns based on analysis and business needs.
• Benchmarks Queen’s digital analytics strategies against other universities and industry best practices. Ensures standards and best practices are appropriately communicated and documented. Develops recommendations for the application of best practices at Queen’s.
• Undertakes other duties as assigned in support of the unit and/or department.
• University degree required, preferably at the honour’s level.
• Minimum five years of relevant, successful experience working in a digital marketing, marketing analytics, or email marketing role, and in a customer-focused communications environment, preferably in an educational setting.
• Demonstrated success with lead nurturing programs, triggered emails, and marketing automation and content personalization efforts that have demonstrably improved conversion and engagement.
• Experience in developing, reporting and managing digital analytics data collection, digital/email marketing campaigns, data quality control programs, email automation, and google analytics. Proven ability to provide actionable insights from data.
• Advanced knowledge of operating systems including Windows, Microsoft, major Email Service Provider (Encompass) and/or CRM platforms such as iModules and Advance, Tableau, and internet experience for data and statistical analysis. Ability to use and implement new technologies to the organization’s advantage.
• Proven experience effectively researching, writing and editing to deadlines for a variety of formats, including print, digital, and social media, combined with strong persuasive and marketing writing ability is required.
• Highly creative experience in identifying target audiences and devising digital campaigns that engage, inform, and motivate.
• Well versed in Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards, accessibility issues, and federal and provincial legislation pertaining to electronic communications regarding accessibility, privacy, anti-spam, and electronic security.
• Demonstrated experience in project management and implementation, including delivering on goals, maintaining accuracy, and staying on schedule.
• Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Communication Skills: Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills. Creative and concise writing and editing skills; professional and polished presentation style; confidence presenting and communicating ideas to others.
• Interpersonal Skills: Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse individuals at all levels across the university and build/nurture strong relationships. Fosters a culture of inclusion and respect, with the expectation that staff are engaged and empowered to achieve excellence. Ability to work well as part of a team – flexible, collegial, and outcome-oriented.
• Detail Orientation Skills: Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy, with an understanding of the repercussions of errors on the reputation and credibility of the university.
• Strategic Thinking Skills: Excellent strategic thinking capability and strong orientation to deliver measurable outcomes that meet goals and objectives, timelines, and projects.
• Innovation and Creativity Skills: Proactive approach; ability to anticipate needs and interests of varied audiences; ability to analyze and solve problems. Ability to think creatively and recommend innovative strategies that enhance the Office of Advancement email marketing strategy, email data management, and marketing analysis processes, with ideas that challenge the status quo.
• Business Insight Skills: Strong understanding of industry trends and opportunities, with the ability to communicate that understanding in non-technical terms. Ability to place objectives in a larger organizational context and use this knowledge to make strategic choices in developing and managing a variety of projects. Proactively identifies operational and system improvements necessary to deliver required services.
• Project Management: Strong organizational, problem solving and project management skills. Ablility to deliver consistently high-quality solutions according to required timelines, create effective project management systems for coordinating multiple resources, and effectively lead and coach others to manage projects.
• Reporting/Analytical Skills: Ability to take large amounts of data and translate into comprehensive reports.
• Time Management Skills: Ability to independently stay focused on high impact initiatives and prioritize multiple competing demands, while producing strong results.
• Client Orientation Skills: Proven ability to respond quickly and professionally to a wide variety of constituents.
• Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
• Determines the appropriate strategy and target audience when developing email marketing strategy, email data management and marketing analysis processes.
• Audits the compliance of policies, business rules, security, and manages the impact of changes to controls.
• Manages compliance with legislative, accessibility, and privacy requirements. Identifies, determines and executes the best approach to addressing areas of non-compliance by securing the needed resources to address and resolve issues, advising and consulting with appropriate stakeholders, as required.
• Evaluates the design and content of marketing emails in accordance with established visual identity standards and web policies. Identifies where new policies, standards need to be developed.
• Determines which members of the university need to be consulted and involved in various digital marketing initiatives and in the shaping of overall priorities.
• Determines which internal and external resources are required to implement electronic communications strategies. Ensures the most effective use of these resources to minimize time and cost.
• Defines necessary follow-up actions and which individuals are to be consulted in the resolution of digital data quality issues and questions/requests made to the Advancement Communications and Marketing Team.
• Identifies appropriate digital analytics real-time reporting options required to meet crisis communication protocol in a timely and effective manner.
• Determines the necessary strategies and reporting format to measure and benchmark the effectiveness of the university’s digital data-driven marketing decisions.
• Decides on the best way to deliver training to meet the needs of the user and to attain proficiency.
• Reconciles competing priorities and determines workflow to ensure needs of diverse stakeholders are met.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.