New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
New York Road Runner’s Marketing and Communications department is charged with managing the organization’s creative services, editorial, advertising, PR, pro athlete, broadcast and video, and digital operations. The team’s efforts build upon NYRR’s recent brand initiative and Run for Life platform as the organization seeks to tell the bigger NYRR story of huge positive impact; our ongoing focus on broadening our engagement with runners of all types; our efforts to strengthen our alignment with, and support of, our corporate partners; and our opportunity to unlock the power of our community in supporting our youth-and cause-related efforts.
About the Position
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who loves both art and science – the art of crafting a perfect subject line and the science of testing and measurement to prove that that subject line is indeed perfect. But there’s far more to the role than just subject lines, of course. The person we hire for this role will be a creative thinker and leader with experience managing complex email marketing campaigns, an expert in segmentation and automation strategy, a data nerd who loves testing, and a thoughtful and compassionate people manager.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Oversee email process from start through completion, including planning, testing, evaluating, and reporting
- Oversee email marketing calendar for all departments
- Write email copy as necessary
- Optimize campaigns using A/B testing and list segmentation
- Excellent understanding of email best practices, deliverability standards, and CAN-SPAM and GDPR requirements
- Conduct Q/A during testing and fix problems before email deployment
- Proofread emails for clarity, grammar, and spelling
- Oversee list management and email deliverability
- Report on email performance and elevate key insights from the data to guide strategy going forward
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage employee performance
- Create goals for the team and individual employees
- Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately
- Promote team culture that coincides with NYRR mission and core values
- 3-5 years of email marketing experience required
- 1+ years in people management required
- Extensive experience working with email service providers, preferably Salesforce Marketing Cloud
- Experience with email personalization software, preferably Movable Ink
- Strong segmentation logic skills
- Experience with automation
Education & Certifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing, Communications, English Literature, Creative Writing or related discipline
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency with email HTML/CSS
- Experience using web analytic software (Google Analytics a plus)
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills