Reports to: Vice President, Digital Strategy
Department: Digital Strategy
Position classification: Exempt, full time – union level 3
Minimum compensation: $50,000
American Progress is seeking an Email Marketing Associate to help promote progressive policies and ideas among targeted audiences. The Email Marketing Associate will be a part of the Digital Strategy team, which is responsible for marketing CAP’s work to highly-segmented audiences including elected officials; national, state, and local advocates; policy organizations and think tanks; and more.
The ideal candidate is a team player who has experience in online communications and an interest in leveraging email to grow, educate, and engage audiences. We are looking for someone who understands the technical and design aspects of email marketing as well as the use of email to reach different audiences effectively. This person must be a fast learner who is passionate about progressive values, has excellent attention to detail, and is skilled at managing multiple tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
In your cover letter, please describe your experience working in online communications, including which email marketing software, databases, or other tools you’ve used. Please also state the extent of your HTML abilities.
but are not limited to the following:
- Draft audience-appropriate summary text to market CAP’s work and code emails in HTML based on templates (including image cropping if needed) for a variety of email types, including newsletters, event invitations, report releases, and more.
- Produce email-related landing pages for campaigns, such as advocacy forms, and assist in production of other digital marketing vehicles like lightboxes and other email signup forms.
- Manage the email send process from start to finish, working with several teams to finalize content, QA, and schedule
- Assist with audience segmentation for email sends
- Assist with keeping the email calendar up to date with current statuses
- Collaborate closely with teammates to translate policy ideas into email marketing and maintain our high-quality email production process
- Monitor main CAP reply inboxes and fulfill unsubscribe requests; other list health tasks as needed
- Work with the Manager, Digital Audience Retention and Engagement to train and support CAP marketing platform users; maintain marketing platform user community (internal).
- Represent the Digital Strategy team in trainings and meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications And Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience in online communications and email marketing, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization
- Working knowledge of HTML to produce emails, landing pages, and similar outputs based on designed and established templates
- Experience working with an email marketing platform such as Engaging Networks, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Salsa, or EveryAction
- Experience with metrics reporting with particular emphasis on outreach effectiveness, but also digital marketing metrics more generally
- Ability to craft messaging for different marketing needs, including report summaries, action campaigns, and fundraising
- Superb attention to detail
- Experience and skill in managing multiple tasks and projects over a tight timeframe while producing high-quality results such as campaign launches, email newsletters and other sends on regular schedules, and event marketing
- Ability to think on your feet and make tricky judgment calls on a regular basis such as scheduling email releases vis-à-vis events in the newscycle – in collaboration with colleagues bringing a variety of expert perspectives
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including proofreading skills
- Self-starter; able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Commitment to the values and ideals advanced by the Center for American Progress
The Following Are Not Required But Are a Plus
- Knowledge of email design best practices
- CSS experience
- Knowledge of website analytics and digital marketing
- Experience with Salesforce or a similar CRM
- Photoshop or other image editing experience
- Familiarity with progressive public policy
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.