Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate and growing team of hundreds around the world, united by the simple purpose of connecting the world to delicious coffee. We roast on four coasts, make delicious drinks, clean up after ourselves, bake cookies, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you. We’re an impossibly eclectic group of coffee experts, artists, writers, sensory scientists, bakers, designers, and all-around dreamers, who also happen to be some of the most hard-working and talented in the business. Join us.
About the job
The Email Marketing and CRM specialist will oversee acquisition and retention marketing for Blue Bottle’s fast-growing Digital business.
This role will rigorously and continuously analyze our guest experience, then develop and implement customer-lifecycle strategies across a variety of audience segments and communication channels (email, SMS and push notification) — all to maximize customer acquisition, repeat purchase rate, lifetime value, and satisfaction of our guests. The specialist will own every aspect of email communication to our guests: transactional, marketing & automated programs.
This is a critical role for Blue Bottle to drive engagement and sales for our channels. The individual must be an expert when it comes to all things email marketing; someone who’s analytical— a whiz in Excel, comfortable working with a data analytics platform (Looker, Sigma, etc.) to draw customer insights; has both an eye for design and a knack for crafting catchy subject lines; driven by performance, progress, and achievement against big goals; cares deeply about the customer journey and experience; and uniquely motivated by getting Blue Bottle’s freshly roasted, responsibly sourced, delicious coffee into more homes, drippers, and mugs.
This position will be based in Oakland, CA and report to the Senior Director of Global E-commerce.
- Analyze our entire guest experience, identifying key touch points where we can optimize activation and retention efforts for our Ecommerce site(s) and mobile App
- Develop, execute and optimize customer lifecycle strategies (including transactional email campaigns) that maximize repeat purchase rate and lifetime value
- Build automated email programs for various segments, then oversee A/B testing of subject lines, content, CTAs, and email cadence within each defined group
- Use data & analytics to define and create targeted user segments for the automated email programs
- Work closely with the Brand Marketing team to plan and execute daily/weekly/seasonal campaigns to drive sales and engagement supporting both ecommerce and cafes
- Own email briefs, copy requests and updates for new & existing email programs, ensuring all assets are aligned with the email brief (not responsible for writing copy or designing emails).
- Manage all QA and routing to appropriate approvers.
- Maintains email marketing calendar and daily sends tracker
- Test and scale retention strategies beyond email, through on-site engagement features/optimizations and additional communication channels like SMS, push notification, etc.
- Work with Engineering team to drive personalization efforts in email marketing campaigns
- Track and report on the effectiveness of campaigns and our segmentation strategies; set and monitor all of our retention KPIs
- Populate weekly, monthly, and/or ad-hoc reports
- Research, vet, and implement CRM solutions/tools to drive future innovation across both our ecommerce and retail channels
- An excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented - can execute complex tasks flawlessly and with minimal oversight
- A team player, comfortable working as part of a group, excited to share knowledge and to learn from others
- A self starter, who’s eager to set ambitious goals and roll up your sleeves to accomplish them
- Curious, agile, thoughtful, delightful to work with and for, with a sense of humor and infectious ‘can-do’ attitude
- At least 3-4 years of directly managing the email marketing channel, where A/B testing and customer segmentation was a key part of your role.
- 1-2 years of experience in Ecommerce or retail industry
- Experience with an enterprise level ESP, experience with Iterable & Square Marketing is a plus
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and other Ecommerce tools. Experience with data analytics tools such as Tableau, Sigma, etc.
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills, as well as strong Excel chops.. SQL experience is a plus
- Knowledge of email marketing best practices
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and work cross-functionally
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with an ability to synthesize complex findings into digestible forms
- A profound love of coffee—while not required, it will make your role significantly more delicious!
- The following is a list of the physical activity, requirements, and environmental factors related to this role. Blue Bottle is committed to partnering with all candidates and employees to ensure reasonable accommodations are made to meet the following:
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal and written documentation
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasionally walking, climbing stairs, and standing occur in this role.
- Environment: this role is protected within a building, but may be exposed to mild changes in temperature with heating or air conditioning.
A few benefits we offer
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
At Blue Bottle Coffee, you’ll be a vital part of our guests’ experience and a crucial link in delivering the most delicious coffee we can find to every person who walks through our doors, be it in person or online. If you’re ready to bring beautiful and thoughtfully rendered experiences to life, please apply and join us.
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale, or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.