Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com .
The Marketing Operations department is the growth engine that drives results and sets the rhythm for the marketing organization. Through people, planning, process and data, Marketing Operations is the backbone of the marketing team enabling the marketing division to operate efficiently while allowing the business units to focus on growth and delivering value to our customers. We’re focused on end-to-end marketing optimization and acceleration – from planning and budgeting to campaign enablement and execution. We are always on, and customer obsessed.
The Email Developer is a seasoned email producer, responsible for all aspects of HTML/email development, including understanding business requirements, coding dynamic solutions and deploying B2C outbound campaigns and communication programs, in a fast-paced environment. This role will work in close partnership with our Strategy team to develop and implement communications to drive growth and customer engagement. This position requires a team player who is experienced in Salesforce Marketing Cloud, (Automation Studio, Journey Builder, Content Builder), proficient in HTML/CSS, AMPscript, and understands email marketing best practices. SQL is a plus. As a highly motivated, self-starter, this person plays a critical role in the growth team’s success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Uses Salesforce Marketing Cloud’s journey builder software for campaign set-up.
- Perform the day-to-day email production activities, including but not limited to, campaign development, testing and deployment of one-time, recurring, triggered and dynamic email campaigns using Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC), Litmus and Email on Acid.
- Own all aspects of the email coding process to include responsive design development using HTML, CSS and SFMC’s AMPscript. Support maintenance of email code base to meet business needs.
- Optimize the email deliverables for various email clients as well as mobile and desktop experiences while ensuring on-time and accurate execution.
- Create campaigns based on the design concepts from the internal Marketing creative team as well as contracted agencies.
- Work collaboratively with Project Managers to leverage data extension tables and optimize their use in our multi-site, variable campaigns.
- Own the quality of the email deliverable in its final output, producing clean, technically accurate files.
- Conduct Q/A, usability, and email client testing ensuring accuracy and attention to detail throughout the development process. Revise email assets based on internal partner feedback while continuing to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to turn campaigns quickly and proactively communicate issues, opportunities and insights. Successfully manage numerous, simultaneous projects with shifting deadlines at warp speed.
2-5 years of email development experience in a professional environment is required. Using HTML, CSS and responsive coding required. Experience using AMPscript preferred. Strong proficiency in Salesforce Marketing Cloud (Automation Studio, Journey Builder, Content Builder) is critical. Must demonstrate and understand nuances of each email client and how to render correctly for compatibility across mobile, web-based and desktop clients. The Email Developer must know email accessibility best practices.
Previous experience with dynamic A/B testing and optimization is essential. Experience with email development with a global brand and localization is a big plus.
The developer team manages a large pipeline of work with expectations of 24-48-hour project turns. As such, successful individuals in this role must be self-motivated, able to work independently and as a small team on numerous concurrent projects and thrive in a demanding work environment. Ability to prioritize workload to deliver on expected timelines and show resiliency to deadline-driven stress is essential and positive energy goes a long way. Strong Q/A process experience is essential as the Email Developer must always take accountability for the technical accuracy of their individual work.
Ideal candidate will exhibit strong attention to detail and be able to communicate with all levels of the organization and recommend channel-specific strategies to assist in meeting partner objectives. They will have the ability to quickly identify and address process and operational gaps.
Final candidates will be required to provide a portfolio exhibiting prior related work including code samples.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at [email protected]