The Director of Retention and Loyalty will lead the development and execution of innovative, breakthrough and data-driven retention strategies to drive loyalty/retention, sales growth, and brand advocacy. This person will have a customer-first mindset, with a deep understanding of the end-to-end customer journey and will be responsible for understanding who our customer is, what drives their behavior, and how best to turn a customer into a passionate brand advocate.
This role will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies around communication, loyalty, and lifecycle marketing, including welcome, trigger and post-purchase follow-ups to re-engagement campaigns, as well as cross channel retention strategies. This will include creating strategies and execution in the following channels: email, SMS, direct mail, as well as conceiving and executing a customer loyalty program. The Director of Retention and Loyalty will design and drive the strategy of a unique loyalty program that drives growth, engagement, and retention of our customers.
We are looking for a collaborative, analytical, and customer-centric thinker who leads cross-functional teams, harnesses customer data insights, and employs retention marketing techniques to craft tailored, impactful strategies. This role will embody our player-coach culture, taking on a dynamic role that combines hands-on contributions to projects and teams with leadership and coaching responsibilities. This is a new role to the organization which will help shape the future of Brilliant Earth’s customer journey.
- Retention Strategy and Email Marketing: Develop and implement a comprehensive, best-in-class retention strategy with a primary focus on email marketing campaigns to engage, retain, and nurture existing customers.
- Customer Lifecycle Management: Create and manage customer journeys to maximize customer lifetime value, from onboarding and post-purchase follow-ups to re-engagement campaigns, as well as cross channel retention strategies.
- Loyalty Program Management: Conceive and implement a first-ever loyalty program. Oversee the cross-channel framework for a new customer loyalty program, leveraging email marketing as a primary channel for communication and rewards.
- Segmentation & Personalization: Drive new strategy for personalization within the jewelry category and manage segmentation of customer files to drive retargeting in digital channels.
- Email Campaign Development: Lead the planning, execution, and optimization of email marketing campaigns, including segmentation, increased personalization, content creation, and automation.
- Innovation & Testing: Develop testing roadmap to experiment with different email elements, such as subject lines, content, images, calls to action, timing, automation, and frequency through A/B testing. Stay updated on industry trends, competitive strategies, email marketing best practices, and emerging technologies to drive innovation in customer retention strategies.
- Customer Advocacy: Architect customer-first communications (e.g., email trigger flows, overlays, SMS, post-purchase, etc.) based on insights and deep understanding of customer journeys.
- Customer Insights: Develop a deep understanding of our customer through data analysis and extracting insights on acquisition sources, order patterns, cohort behavior, and churn. Partner with the Analytics team to find actionable insights, including surveys and focus groups. Collect and analyze customer feedback, identifying opportunities to enhance the overall customer experience through email marketing initiatives.
- Data Analysis and Insights: Utilize data analytics to track email campaign performance, customer behavior, and ROI, making data-driven decisions for continuous improvement. Define key metrics for retention success, develop dashboards, monitor and report regularly to leadership. Monitor key email metrics like open rates, click-through rates, conversion rates, and unsubscribe rates.
- High Quality Outputs: Establish QA processes, analytics and performance monitoring practice to make data driven decisions.
- Manage vendor/partner relationships to ensure accountability and strategic alignment. This includes engaging in re-negotiation and RFP process to ensure optimal partnership.
- Team Leadership: Lead, mentor, and develop a team of retention and email marketing professionals, fostering a culture of innovation and customer-centricity. Continue to elevate internal processes including QA, reporting, cross-channel communication.
- Proven experience (10+ years) in a customer marketing or adjacent role, preferably with background in CRM, customer analytics, retention marketing, marketing or customer strategy, with a strong emphasis on email marketing strategy and execution.
- Deep understanding of email marketing best practices, ESPs, and automation tools.
- Data-driven decision-maker with continuous desire to analyze and further improve performance
- Robust experience in concepting initiatives, managing projects with little direction, and driving measurable results
- Experience in developing and delivering loyalty, referrals and rewards programs
- Passionate people manager with an emphasis on coaching and development
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A strategic thinker who approaches challenges with thoughtfulness, drive, and appropriate urgency, who works well under pressure and thrives in adapting environments.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Passion for sustainability, ethics, and social responsibility, and a commitment to the mission and values of Brilliant Earth.
What We Offer
At Brilliant Earth, we’re passionate about the employee experience. That’s why we offer an excellent training program and endless opportunities for career growth! In addition, we offer competitive compensation and a robust benefits package, including:
- Equity Compensation. You will play an important role in the growth and success of the company. RSU awards allow us all to share in these successes.
- Insurance. Medical, dental, and vision insurance kick in on the first day of your 2nd month!
- 401k match. We know that saving for the future is important. That's why we offer a generous 401k match.
- Flexible Paid Time Off. We know it’s important to recharge and relax.
- Disability and Life insurance. 100% employer-paid.
- Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits.
- Continued Education. Company-sponsored learning in leadership, professional skills, diversity & inclusion, and access to tuition reimbursement for role-specific trainings.
- Employee Discounts. As an employee at Brilliant Earth, you’ll receive a generous discount on our jewelry.
- Wellness Benefits. We offer access to exclusive discounts on gym memberships and more, as well as an Employee Assistance Program for 24/7 access to counseling.
- Giving Back and Volunteer Opportunities. In addition to our giving back programs, our teams support local initiatives and spend time together by volunteering.
How to Apply & What to Expect:
Everyone at Brilliant Earth has a voice – we want to hear yours! If you are interested in growing with Brilliant Earth, send us a resume and cover letter letting us know why you are interested in joining our mission and our team. Please include a sentence about your favorite shape of diamond.
You’ll receive an email when we’ve received your application and can expect an update within a week of applying. The interview process for this role includes a phone call with the recruiting team and an opportunity to chat with a few of our senior leaders via video call!
More About Us
At Brilliant Earth, our mission is to cultivate a more transparent, sustainable, compassionate, & inclusive jewelry industry. We believe in creating jewelry you can feel good about wearing, without ever compromising between quality and conscience. We are hard-working team players that welcome challenges and rise to any occasion. Our community of collaboration, respect and encouragement is fostered by frequent team events, cross-departmental meetings and celebrating our wins, big and small. As one of the fastest growing e-commerce jewelers in the world, we're searching for bright and passionate people who are excited to make an impact from day one and grow with the company to take on greater responsibility over time.
Brilliant Earth recognizes the value of diversity and inclusion on our team, as we work together to reinvent fine jewelry in a thoughtful and modern way. At Brilliant Earth, we celebrate each other – our successes, the lessons along the way, and the unique perspectives each individual brings to our team. It is our intent to maintain a work environment and hiring process which is free of harassment or discrimination because of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, military service, veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal, State or local laws. We are committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations.
If you need assistance or reasonable accommodation completing an application or at any stage of the interview process, please reach out to us at [email protected].
Decided not to apply? Want to stay in touch for other opportunities? Please let us know why or sign up for our Talent Community here.