Reports to:Vice President, Digital Strategy
Staff reporting to this position:Two to four Digital Strategy team members
Position classification:Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 7
American Progress seeks a highly motivated Director of Email Marketing to effectively engage the organization’s strategic audiences—including policymakers, advocates, experts, and more—to support distribution, marketing, and fundraising that advances the organization’s mission. The ideal candidate would offer a combination of creative, technology, and marketing experience, as well as proven success leading projects within advocacy organizations.
The Director of Email Marketing will serve as chief subject matter expert on email marketing strategy and execution and will work with counterparts who offer expertise in social media, audience acquisition, digital fundraising, data strategy, and more. As part of the Digital Strategy team, this position will collaborate extensively with diverse communications, editorial, strategy, and policy teams to continually improve audience retention across digital channels, including websites, email, and social media, as well as contribute to digital strategy efforts across silos. The Vice President of Digital Strategy collaborates with the Vice President of Digital Communications in the Advocacy and Outreach department, and the Director will work closely with both.
The ideal candidate for this position values the camaraderie that comes with being a part of a progressively minded and socially conscious organization such as American Progress. This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The Director of Email Marketing will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Digital Strategy team is responsible for developing and operationalizing strategies to reach and engage the organization’s target audiences through digital channels such as web, social media, and online marketing. The team works closely with an extensive roster of highly respected thought leaders, policy professionals, and functional groups to formulate and implement effective digital content strategies to connect with American Progress’ audiences.
- Manage a busy cross-team email calendar of newsletters, event invitations, fundraising, advocacy emails, and more by balancing the priorities of multiple stakeholders without oversaturating email lists; assigning and overseeing production work; and participating in production as needed.
- Manage content creation of email products, including establishing and evolving best practices; reviewing email content for strategy, optimization, and substance; inspiring and mentoring email producers and content contributors; and consistently managing and improving email templates.
- Manage email lists; maintain high-quality audience segmentation and other email targeting practices; and collaborate with appropriate organizational stakeholders to establish and evolve lists and contact governance.
- Coordinate email content distribution across the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund by supervising email producers on the digital team and training staff across the organization in the creation of compelling email content.
- Review all email program strategies and email products for brand guideline compliance and quality, as well as engineer approval processes to ensure high quality and strong outcomes.
- Work with policy teams and stakeholders to identify communications and strategic goals, including projections, and measure progress against those goals, tuning strategies and outputs in response.
- Work with colleagues on the Content Strategy team and other stakeholders to define, drive, and maintain digital content strategy across the organization and all channels, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and mission.
- Stay up to date on email marketing and digital engagement best practices and make changes to vehicles, toolsets, practices, training, and processes accordingly.
- Consult frequently with the Events team and other American Progress experts in social media, content strategy, acquisition, and advocacy about best practices and opportunities in event marketing and distribution.
- Collaborate with analytics specialists and others to report out insights and learning based in email metrics at organizational, department, team, and project levels.
- Recruit, hire, onboard, and supervise staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Eight or more years of experience in digital or email marketing, including at least two years of supervisory experience.
- Broad understanding of digital engagement strategies with specific expertise in email marketing principles.
- Strong project management experience and proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities.
- Expert-level experience using marketing communications technology platforms such as Engaging Networks, Eloqua, or Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Expert-level experience with data hygiene practices, retention measurement, and email engagement analytics.
- High level of proficiency with HTML, image editing, and writing for marketing.
- Broad range of experience working with multiple customer relationship management and content management systems and analytics packages.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and decision-making abilities, including goals and projection setting, and a proven ability to navigate ambiguity and change.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Passion for progressive policy with an entrepreneurial mindset, including a focus on possibilities instead of obstacles.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is not represented by a union. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The starting salary for this position is $92,000.
We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.