Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Director of Direct Marketing Email is responsible for developing and leading all strategies of Heifer’s email program to meet program goals and expand revenue while overseeing the day-to-day operations of the email program. Responsible for leading the development and growth of new email donors to file, conversion of email donors to sustainer donors and annual donors, and email stewardship for the purpose of meeting revenue goals. This position will work closely with off-line channel stakeholders for an omni-channel approach and messaging while aligning with overall marketing strategies. This position will utilize analytics to monitor and optimize fundraising efforts, uncover new opportunities, and guide budgeting. The Director of Direct Marketing Email will leverage best practices as well as bring new and innovative ideas based on data driven insights and donor research with a “fail fast, learn faster” approach to enact change. The Director of Direct Marketing Email will manage and cultivate the career development of the organization’s in-house email team and manage external partner agencies and lead collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS:
- Goal-orientated and focused, collaborative, achiever, and dreamer.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Develop and direct execution of strategy for email program. (40%)
- Develop and lead all strategies and plans for the direct response email program that maximizes revenue and return on investment.
- Develop and lead the donor experience in the execution of strategy and campaigns that support the overall objectives to convert, retain and grow the email file.
- Create and direct strategies for recruitment for new donor file growth through email, aligning with digital and offline channels strategies.
- Develop strategies to define and implement creative and communication(s) to new and existing donor email file for the purpose of conversion to sustainer program.
- Develop strategies to define and implement creative and communication to existing email donors for the purpose of generating one-time gifts.
- Develop and set strategies for upgrades for existing monthly and one time donors through email.
- Develop and lead implementation of retention strategies for monthly and one time donor program through email across multiple donor segments and donor groups.
- Create new communications and using donor insights, set strategies to engage specific donor types and segments to become monthly and one time donors and to stay engaged with organizational mission.
- Identify areas to develop and test new creative for new and existing audiences.
- Quickly adapt and change strategies of sustainer program based on analytics and performance ensuring program is adapting in the current fundraising environment.
B. Direct and lead email program operations. (30%)
- Manage the email program direct marketing staff while encouraging open communication and team collaboration. (Internal and External reports)
- Lead and direct the day-to-day operations of the email program in all donor types while integrating with other stakeholders.
- Direct and lead multiple internal and external stakeholders in aligning and implementing cross-donor communication and cross-donor segments for the purpose of conversion, retention and acquisition of donors into sustainer and one time gifts program based on overall marketing strategy.
- Communicate email program strategies and goals across multiple teams and stakeholders for the purpose of strategy and marketing alignment, achieving results and to ensure cross-messaging and communication to donors is consistent and meaningful.
- Serve as a key advisor and collaborator for all teams and division stakeholders ensuring a fully integrated email program.
- Serve as primary liaison to the agencies of record for email program strategies for cohesive integration and implementation of program across all donor types.
- Serve as primary contact with external team of vendors for contract approvals and management as it relates to email program.
- Oversee email automation platform/CRM system as well as the data that lives within the platform (Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
- Regularly review integrations to ensure they are functioning in manner that aligns with email’s strategic goals and create new integrations as needed for program execution.
- Lead development of strategies to reduce churn and extend the lifespan of email addresses on file.
C. Develop and monitor email program KPI’s. (25%)
- Establish and set KPI’s and metrics for email program for purpose of meeting fundraising goals across all donor groups.
- Responsible for expense budget for email program for the purpose of adhering to budget and preparing reports as needed.
- Based on expense budget and results, direct and lead stakeholders to adapt program to meet goals.
- Monitor all KPI’s of email program from cost to acquire, retention rates, average gift and direct any changes to program to meet set goals.
- Work closely with internal and external analytics teams to monitor and maximize sustainer program results.
D. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s Degree plus eight (8) years OR 12 years of related job experience in direct response marketing through email and online channels.
- Fundraising and data management and email marketing experience including hands-on experience implementing and optimizing email campaigns in design, marketing and/or product/teams and all aspects of email analytics.
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience managing staff and leading cross department teams in collaborative environment with focus on staff development.
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in leading and managing external vendors, partners and ESP vendors in collaborative environment and with integrations into internal teams.
- Strong experience with eCRMs and integrations with other platforms.
- Strong experience with direct response email analytics used to make decisions to impact revenue growth.
- Ability to enact change quickly based on analytics, research, results, and donor segment performance
- Experience in managing complex fundraising program from creation to execution.
- Demonstrated success in budget planning and management.
- Commitment to organizational mission of ending hunger and poverty.
- Strong commitment to the donor.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Strategic thinker.
- Negotiation and facilitations skills.
- Ability to foster collaboration, open dialogue and transparency while encouraging new ideas and create an integrated and open team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to focus, prioritize, and deflect distractions in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Ability to lead large group of stakeholders for the purpose of program strategic alignment.
- Strong writing and presentation skills for a variety of audiences.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Constant face-to-face, video, and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to assign and review the work of direct reports, as well as motivate and engage team members.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically as needed.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse and global setting.
The expected base salary range for this position is $95k to $115k USD annually. Placement within the range will be based on the competency level of the candidate:
Minimum: Entry level, meets minimum qualifications. Needs guidance and training to perform key responsibilities of the job
Midpoint: Experienced and fully competent. Can independently perform all responsibilities of the job
Maximum: Highly experienced and can perform at a higher level than expected
**Disclaimer: Salary ranges are based on country location and local country salary scales.
WHAT WE OFFER:
Heifer International offers a variety of benefits for U.S.-based employees working 30 or more hours per week.
- Health and wellness benefits including Flexible Spending Account and/or Health Saving Account
- Employee assistance program
- 403(b) retirement plan (match 1% employee to 2% employer up to a maximum of 4% match + 3% employer discretionary contribution regardless of employee contribution)
- 22 vacation days in addition to 12 statutory and discretionary holidays, and 10 sick days per year
- Employer-paid life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
- Professional development and annual merit increase opportunities
- Optional critical illness insurance, legal assistance plan and pet protection
- And more!