About the company
Boxed is the easiest and most modern way to shop for bulk goods. As a mobile-first company, customers can shop directly from Boxed’s app on their iOS or Android mobile device, or online at www.boxed.com. With Boxed, customers can have their household, personal care, and pantry favorites delivered conveniently to their home or office.
Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. A technology company at core, we are a vibrant, fun and close group of engineers, designers, marketers, and operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers.We’re a late stage startup that places technology and innovation at the heart of all that we do.
Our technology platform and automated, state-of-the-art fulfillment centers make headlines, and our systems utilize machine learning, predictive analytics, and other technologies to ensure a delightful B2C and B2B e-commerce experience. While technology is at the core of what we do, providing a personalized, thoughtful, and seamless shopping experience is at the heart of who we are.
Boxed is seeking a CRM & Retention Marketing Lead, in the post of Director of Customer Retention, to drive strategy and execution around engaging our customer base to drive repeat sales & loyalty. You’ll know you’re the right person for this gig if you have a passion for lifecycle marketing, geek out when it comes to consumer e-commerce behavior and stay up all night obsessing over how to build a best-in-class retention marketing program.
Reporting to the CMO, this person will oversee all of our multi-channel retention marketing programs across email, push, SMS and direct mail with the goal of maximizing customer lifetime value and driving loyalty.
Our ideal candidate will have 10+ years of experience leading e-commerce customer retention and CRM initiatives. We're looking for a data-driven professional who has a strong passion for providing the best customer experience possible as well as a strongly developed right side brain (yes, we know we are looking for a unicorn). Perhaps as importantly, we want someone who is curious, proactive and will challenge the team at every turn, asking tough questions and ensuring that the quality and personalization of our message is never sacrificed.
Finally, as with any start-up, we need a leader and a do-er; someone who can develop a strategy and delegate appropriately but also get in the weeds and manage/execute programs, no matter how tactical.
- Be responsible for leading all CRM & retention marketing efforts and increasing engagement and loyalty with new & existing customers
- Drive the strategy around all of our customer engagement efforts, working throughout the organization and with relevant agencies/partners to execute initiatives
- Develop and execute email and push marketing strategies and communications in promotional; transactional; lifecycle; triggered; and rewards-focused campaigns to drive growth and win-back
- Develop and implement a cohesive and integrated mobile push/sms strategy
- Assess current ESP / CRM platforms and make appropriate recommendations to continually optimize and improve
- Work closely with the Technology team to assess and implement the most appropriate technology (whether external or internal) to support retention/CRM strategy
- Integrate with Loyalty Marketing lead on key rewards initiatives, often from ideation to execution to analytics
- Partner with the Merchandising team and suppliers to develop targeted strategies and campaigns to support various products/opportunities
- Work closely with finance operations and internal leadership to analyze and assess efficacy of initiatives and how they are supporting larger organizational goals
- Lead key internal initiatives aimed at driving growth through customer re-engagement
- Work with the email marketing coordinator to refine and improve and optimize all email KPI’s
- Work with creative team to develop a deep understanding of what resonates with our customers and optimize content/messaging accordingly
- Constantly stay informed with best in class retention practices, including 1:1 personalization, triggers, email deliverability, to send frequency, to subject line best practices and best-in-class creative approaches.
- A Bachelor's Degree and 10 years experience in e-commerce
- Experience managing teams and working within various ESP/CRM platform(s)
- A proven leader, communicator and strategist
- Strong understanding of the financial aspect of retention marketing within an e-commerce company
- Love executing a project from start to finish - not afraid to get your hands dirty
- Proficient in HTML or have a strong desire to learn
- Be cool. Culture is very important to us
- Comfortable with failing; learning; trying again.
Benefits & Perks:
- Working with smart, positive people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits.
OUR package for you!
Alongside our customer focus and technology DNA, we pride ourselves on our employee centric mentality. NBC Nightly News called our CEO, Chieh Huang, “America’s Dream Boss” for our generous benefits. Every day is bring your dog to work day at Boxed! In addition, our team enjoys competitive compensation plus stock options, endless snacks, flexible parental leave, unlimited paid time off, company lunches, and lots of other perks -- just some of the reasons we made Crain’s list of best places to work in NYC. We’d love to meet you, so apply today!