Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Communications. We are fast, nimble and have fun developing new, innovative and immersive digital content for eighteen iconic brands, including Discovery Channel, HGTV, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, OWN and Animal Planet.
We are a small but mighty team working at the crossroads of technology and entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we’re building on the Discovery legacy by using technology to evolve the viewing experience… telling better, more engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day.
What’s in it for you?
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the digital business. As the Director, Lifecycle Marketing, you will play a key role in the evolution and success of the Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) business. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a dynamic, passionate and incredibly talented creative team to launch a new subscription-based streaming & interactive experience from the ground up.
The Director of Lifecycle Marketing will be responsible for strategic leadership of our lifecycle marketing initiatives. You will be able to turn customer data and insights into actionable strategies, delivering meaningful interactions with our growing customer base.
In this role you will spearhead efforts to increase customer engagement and retention, build segmented customer journeys and bolster the customer communications experience. You will have a vision for the best customer experience and will lead the team to develop and deploy the most effective and innovative multichannel CRM programs with an agile “test and learn” mindset, focused on maximizing customer lifetime value, loyalty and retention.
- A proven customer lifecycle marketer with the ability to develop and execute successful customer engagement and retention strategies within a digital subscription environment
- A self-starter with an “own it” mentality, who is creative and innovative
- A customer first, creative thinker who isn’t afraid of working with data to enhance campaigns and overall strategies
- An experienced strategic team leader with strong communication and leadership skills
- Retention Strategy – Define, own, execute and evolve the retention strategy for direct-to-consumer subscriptions, including effective saves and winback strategies
- Lifecycle Programs – Collaborate with external agencies and internal cross-functional teams, design, build, test and optimize the customer lifecycle, including automated CRM programs to
support customer onboarding, engagement and retention initiatives. As well as bespoke, innovative ad hoc retention/cross sales/upsell campaigns
- Convert to paid strategy – Support revenue initiatives through creation and execution of effective campaigns to convert free trialists to paid subscribers
- Customer Loyalty & Engagement – Devise strategies, creative marketing propositions and campaigns to increase engagement, long term loyalty and satisfaction of subscribers
- Increase ROI - Optimize comms through A/B and multivariate testing: template, segmentation, content, calls-to-action, timing and frequency. Build, test and optimize lifecycle programs to increase the ROI of CRM activity from conversion through to dormant reactivation, churn management and increasing LTV.
- Deliver KPIs – Ensure overachievement against budget on all retention KPIs and own retention forecasting
- Customer Insight – Continuously strive to better understand customer behavior and gain actionable insights that flow into improved retention strategy and activity. Including delivering a propensity to churn model and engagement plan to mitigate.
- Reporting – Regularly monitor analytics and develop reports, including an attribution framework/process, for all activity for relevant business stakeholders, to ensure the impact of initiatives is fully understood and the results are used to inform future plans and improvement.
- Customer service – Collaborate with the internal customer service teams through development of customer service scripts, sales incentives and product information documents.
- Team Leadership – Managing two direct reports, offer clear support and guidance on objectives and their responsibilities, create a positive, delivery-focused and collaborative team.
- 10-15 years’ experience in Retention, Engagement or Customer Lifecycle marketing roles
- Deep experience leading on retention and CRM for a consumer-facing services organization, ideally with digital subscriptions experience.
- Deep expertise in creating and delivering lifecycle programs.
- Experience with multichannel campaign delivery tools – deep understanding of the CRM technology landscape and ability to translate business needs into technical requirements
- Strong creative, customer segmentation and analytical experience
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive action.
- Ability to get into the detail, problem solve, resolve issues and bring teams together
- A great communicator who can tell the full story at all levels within the organization, bringing all stakeholders along with them
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.