Gannett’s Marketing Operations team is looking for a pivotal leader to drive a best-in-class B2C email marketing operation. You must have high energy, be smart and experienced and able to successfully direct our large pipeline of email campaigns to support our North Star priorities. It’s a big job that moves at a quick pace. And, you must love change. That is our one constant.
We’re looking for the best of the best. So, if you're up to the challenge, and are interested in elevating our good team to great, our Email Marketing Operations Director position could be for you. The successful candidate has substantial responsibility around the systems and technologies supporting email for the Consumer Marketing division and is looked upon to make informed recommendations to optimize and further the department’s abilities to deliver campaigns accurately and at an accelerated speed. This role will direct the growth of our email marketing operation, with the responsibility of overseeing the production and deployment of email communications. You will supervise a production team and lead them in mastery of our email systems including, but not limited to, Salesforce Marketing Cloud. In addition, the director drives the career goals of team members and must be comfortable leading through complex situations, adapting quickly to an evolving business environment and making autonomous decisions while understanding business goals and objectives.
Specific Responsibilities Will Include
- Direct and oversee daily operations to ensure all B2C email campaigns are completed and deployed on time and with a high deliverability while meeting quality standards.
- Ensure efficient management of internal customer requests for the email channel, working intra-departmentally in Marketing Operations to establish, refine and optimize processes and systems for project management and cross-departmental collaboration.
- Lead and guide the email production team in QA (quality assurance) practices.
- Update, develop, and test new email templates, including automations and journeys, to meet internal partner needs.
- Work collaboratively across Growth and Creative to leverage email design systems that accelerate campaign deployments.
- Work closely with strategy partners to understand audience requirements, business goals and objectives, review campaign and deliverability metrics, making recommendations for optimization and improvement.
- Be a subject matter expert in all things email marketing and stay on top of email best practices and industry trends; ensure compliance with consumer protection laws as applicable.
- Leverage the functionality of our existing tools to unlock their optimal value, recommending the implementation of new functionality as appropriate to achieve business goals.
- Act as the primary liaison with MarTech, IT and external vendors around the selection, customization, and implementation of systems and processes impacting email production, including platform updates, operational enhancements, and integration with other systems.
Requires a bachelor’s degree with 10+ years of progressive experience in email marketing operations with at least 5 years of professional employee management experience and 5+ years of leading high-volume, complex email campaign execution. Additionally, the successful candidate will have proven experience using an enterprise ESP, preferably Salesforce, as well as understanding of relational databases, familiarity with marketing capabilities of CDP platforms and leveraging advanced personalization concepts in email marketing.
You must possess demonstrable experience of leading work of various types: batch campaigns, triggered campaigns, journeys and 1:1 communication. Experience optimizing processes, implementing new technology and/or further leveraging current technology is essential. A proven foundation of email best practices in email technology, HTML delivery strategies, service providers, list management, IP reputation management and spam regulations. Excellent sense of judgement with the ability to problem-solve quickly with favorable outcomes. A confident and clear communicator to your team members and stakeholders across the organization is preferred, particularly someone who is comfortable partnering with senior leaders.
The Director, Email Marketing Operations must be passionate about QA, an advocate about operational efficiency and able to prioritize regularly and work iteratively to maximize positive organizational impact; have a keen ability to navigate ambiguity and work in a fast-changing environment with an entrepreneurial approach. He or she must have exceptional program leadership and communication skills and be proficient and up to date in both email marketing best practices and analytics.
The ideal candidate is a results-oriented, strong collaborator who has worked cross-functionally and understands what agile is about. You make those around you successful and can initiate activities, set, and lead multiple priorities and deliver timely results. If you enjoy fast-paced high energy environments, thrive in collaborative and passionate teams, can see beyond current tasks – connecting to the bigger strategy, and can bring a can-do attitude with a growth mind-set, this is the role for you.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicant’s disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals’ application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.’s Recruitment Department at [email protected].