The Globe and Mail is a national icon and Canada’s most recognized media brand.
We’re also an international award winner for data visualization, design, and creative storytelling. A digital innovator with a global client list for our in-house AI-powered optimization, prediction and automation platform. And a place where Canadians come for the best journalism in the country.
We aim to reflect Canada in the stories we tell and in our workforce. The Globe is a proud partner of Pride At Work, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and a signatory of the BlackNorth Initiative. We understand our staff have lives outside of the office and offer flexible work arrangements and support programs. We also provide training and mentorships to staff to ensure you’re able to grow and challenge yourself and your abilities.
No matter what your role at The Globe, you’ll be part of an organization dedicated to making a difference to Canada.
The Globe and Mail is seeking a Digital Email Marketing Data Analyst to support our database marketing efforts in a very competitive landscape under the leadership of the Manager of Digital Email Marketing Analytics. You will contribute to various phases of digital marketing and CRM campaign management including pre-analysis, list generation, email campaign automation, campaign execution and post campaign reporting/analytics, supporting a comprehensive subscriber contact strategy. The position requires the automation and scheduling of scripted data workflows as well as a sound understanding and strict adherence to data privacy laws and legislation. Additionally, the role will act as an advocate for the protection of subscriber data and enhancement of the subscriber experience through increased engagement.
- Gather, document and translate business requirements from various business units into executable direct email marketing campaigns.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to confirm requirements and provide recommendations for campaign design and execution.
- Manage all facets of the email marketing process – developing and managing the execution of email marketing campaigns, audience segmentation, campaign optimization, customer profiling, A/B testing and preference management.
- Build insights and KPI analytics for campaign performance, acquisitions, audience strategy and customer predictive models identifying areas of opportunity for future digital marketing optimizations utilizing SQL, Python and Tableau.
- Create customer journeys and develop implementation plans for new program initiatives with a focus on automated campaigns and a personalized customer content utilizing data from disparate CEM data sources.
- Develop email marketing campaign segmentation strategies based on customer and prospect type/persona data, transactional history and web/app customer behavioral data.
- Design and create optimized test and learn (target vs control, A/B) email campaigns that leverage previous campaign learnings.
- Complete quality assurance audits to ensure email creative and campaign list SQL code accurately reflect business requirements and specifications - pinpoint actionable insights, efficiencies, and new opportunities.
- Communicate insights to internal stakeholders in order to leverage the email-marketing channel.
- Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures. Ensure email marketing campaign data is accurate and email creative is error free.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related analytical/database marketing field required.
- 2+ years of relevant experience with relational databases and programming languages used for analyzing/manipulating data and automating Oracle jobs (PL/SQL, SQL).
- 2+ years minimum experience in marketing analytics, business intelligence, data mining, statistics or quantitative analysis supporting customer acquisition and retention.
- Advanced SQL skills are mandatory.
- Passionate about marketing automation with hands-on experience using email-marketing platforms and email automation software
- Tableau (or equivalent BI reporting tool) reporting and dashboard building experience would be beneficial.
- Experience with big data platform (ie: AWS, Snowflake, Metabase) an asset.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical results and analysis to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Understanding of the principles of relational databases and importance of data hygiene.
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Well organized with strong multi-tasking skills.
- Collaborative team player who is willing to share knowledge and learnings with others in team.
- Autonomous self-starter, comfortable working in a team environment with minimal direction
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
All offers of employment with The Globe and Mail are conditional upon the candidate being Fully Vaccinated. To be Fully Vaccinated is defined as someone who has received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (currently Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen) and has received the last dose at least 14 days prior to their start date. To prove they are Fully Vaccinated, all new hires will be required to provide evidence by emailing a copy of their vaccine dose administration receipt(s) to Human Resources prior to their start date. Those seeking exemption based on one or more of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code will need to provide their request for accommodation to Human Resources for approval. If the accommodation request is not approved and the candidate is not Fully Vaccinated, any offer of employment will be revoked.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL IS DEDICATED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.