Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
***For consideration, please submit a link to your portfolio/work samples***
The Lifecycle Design Technologist will be responsible for designing and developing effective email marketing campaigns to drive Square’s retention marketing efforts. This individual will work closely with the Square Lifecycle team to understand the intent and primary KPIs of lifecycle efforts and use this knowledge to create visually appealing and engaging campaigns that drive conversions. You will work closely as part of a cross-functional team to design and build campaigns that create compelling experiences for existing Square merchants. You will utilize Square’s brand and email design systems along with email development best practices to create industry leading lifecycle communications that inspire action. Additionally, you will work with the team from ideation through execution of net-new campaign and lifecycle strategy efforts, advising from a creative and development perspective to create high-performing outputs.
You consider yourself a pro at email design and development and are comfortable with building templates from scratch with HTML/CSS as well as drag & drop design tools. You understand how to leverage user data to create highly personalized content and pride yourself on being up to date with the latest proven standards and best practices. Thriving on exploration and experimentation, you are always looking for opportunities to test and are capable of understanding and articulating performance to provide ongoing design-focused recommendations to stakeholders.
As a Design Technologist on the Lifecycle team, you will:
- Be responsible for email design and coding of blast and triggered campaigns, ensuring all campaign designs meet Square’s brand guidelines
- Apply best practices in email design/development, compliance and deliverability standards, and accessibility
- Create, and QA complex email campaigns with dynamic content
- Actively participate in concept development and design iteration
- Work independently on projects from ideation and design through implementation
- Take creative direction and expand on concept ideas for tactics
- Actively take part in brainstorms, partnering with colleagues across disciplines including Strategy, Design, Production and Copy
- Execute hands-on technical development of prototypes coming out of ideation
- Contribute to discussions about the digital aspects of creative campaigns
- Work creatively through and around perceived limitations and/or challenges imposed by the delivery platform to create delightful experiences for customers
- Evaluate and document any new creative and/or development standards that could arise
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Web Design or similar field of Study
- 5+ years of experience in email marketing design and development
- Proficiency in design tools such as Figma, Sketch, InVision or Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency in mobile responsive design techniques
- Proficiency using email delivery and testing tools such as Litmus
- Strong knowledge of hand-coding responsive emails with HTML/CSS
- Knowledge of HTML email rendering bugs and workarounds
- Strong sense of web design and user experience fundamentals
- Understanding of CAN-SPAM compliance
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects with adherence to deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly across all levels of the organization
- Must be able to adapt to the changing needs of business and/or ad hoc projects
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.