Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.
About the Role:
You’re excited about a career in data-driven digital marketing with a fast-growing company. You have a passion for creating a great customer experience through email, push, and other marketing channels. You get excited about receiving messaging that’s personal and feels like the info you needed right at that moment. You love to learn, are always curious, and have an extreme eye for detail. You are resourceful and have a track record of getting stuff done.
The CRM team extends Betterment’s experience out into users’ everyday lives, bringing important recommendations, info, and delight as they work to achieve their goals. As part of our CRM team, this role will work cross-functionally to create promotional offers and dive deeper into strategic test planning and execution in order to help grow our retention marketing program. The Customer Marketing Manager will collaborate closely with various teams to set up and monitor segmentation, as well as create, develop, and report on multi-channel personalized communications with our customers.
This role is remote eligible. Colorado has an annual starting salary of $85,000, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience.
A Day in the Life:
- Support and maintain customer-centric campaigns and promotional offers to drive retention, engagement, and delight
- Collaborate with marketing team, brand creative, and product managers to create new messages, offering recommendations, content, and education explaining the Betterment product
- Iterate on existing emails to test different messaging
- Explore and implement new strategies for customer retention through email and push, increasing engagement/delight
- Own and execute email, push, and in-app messaging campaigns
- Set up A/B tests for new campaigns to determine incremental lift
- Build targeted, personalized automated messaging on our CRM platform
- Perform rigorous quality assurance testing and proofing to ensure there are no errors
- Monitor the system daily and fix problems as they crop up, occasionally working with engineering teams to solve these problems
What We’re Looking For:
- Previous experience with email marketing & HTML
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively about how to approach problems
- Understanding of the customer voice and customer needs
- Ability to run with a campaign, digging into a segment, create a testing plan, read results and recommend next steps.
- Experience collaborating well with other teams, including internal departments and third-party vendors
- Willingness to learn how to use new tools and develop new skills as needed
- Prior experience working with CDPs and ESPs (e.g. Braze, Simon Data, SendGrid, Iterable, etc)
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.