In a nutshell
Through our CRM and Loyalty team, we drive value from our customers at all stages of their relationship with us. We focus on knowing our customers better than anyone else, in order to drive business growth including sales, profit and share and long term loyalty.
This role is accountable for the strategy, planning, execution and reporting for our GM CRM strategy and activity. You’ll be focussed on delivering customer and business benefit through our CRM activity, building test and learn plans to improve overall effectiveness and championing the work and results with all internal stakeholders. Due to the scale of our communications this role is critical in ensuring all our activity lands with strategic, creative and operational excellence.
What You Need To Do
- Develop the short, medium and long term strategy for CRM alongside the Head of CRM and Analytics team, and engage the team and stakeholders on this strategy.
- Deliver incremental revenue growth and agreed commercial and customer targets.
- Work with all relevant agencies and internal teams (on shore and off shore) to build and execute plans, ensuring all activity is delivered to agreed process, on time, on budget and meets quality standards.
- Work with the Analytics team to define the data planning, targeting, offer allocation for the programme and campaigns.
- Develop relevant and measurable KPIs and deliver against these, focused on short term campaign delivery and longer term customer relationships.
- Responsibility for ensuring the health & responsiveness of our GM brands. Maximise the size of the base available to marketing & communication, maintain and grow customer engagement levels, pro-actively retain customers and grow contact, response, conversion & purchase rates, and improve frequency of visits etc.
- Continuously improve our programmes through test and learning, optimisation and innovation.
- Manage Marketing Executives in the delivery of campaigns (a fast and full pipeline). Ensure they don’t just deliver the BAU but thrive when doing it, getting the challenge, support and development they need to make our business a great place to work.
- Manage the relationship with Accenture and off shore colleagues in the execution of campaigns and ensure they deliver against agreed KPIs.
- Work closely with all marketing communications teams, particularly the Analytics team, Email and Tech teams in Digital Marketing, to execute campaigns as briefed, and deliver long-term projects and business objectives.
- Produce comprehensive campaign analysis alongside the Analytics Manager to inform stakeholders of the value of our programmes and how we should evolve future campaigns.
- Ensure excellent budget management – robustly manage the periodic reporting process, communicating to Finance and the Marketing Lead Team. Report on any variances and take accountability for overall budget spend.
- Keep abreast of trends in the market place and ensure we are strategically in line with the latest developments in customer needs, attitudes and behaviours and best in class CRM.
- Be a champion of the CRM programme with other cross functional teams outside of marketing, sharing our strategy, successes and learnings and building relationships that allow us to be more plugged in to business performance in the short and long term.
How will I succeed and know that I’ve succeeded
- Deliver the agreed customer and commercial metrics
- Customer-centric campaigns delivered on time and on budget, with flawless QA
- Accurate forecasting with costs coming in on budget
- Demonstrate flawless budget management, taking accountability for spending cost wisely and issuing reward
- Developing the direct reports to deliver best in class work
- Share our results and ensure the implications of them are understood; must be able to tell the story of the work we do, and what it delivers, to a range of senior stakeholders.
- Strong relationship with all stakeholders with particular focus on achieving excellent ways of working.
What You Need To Know And Show
- An in-depth knowledge of CRM and direct marketing principles (preferably within the retail sector) and the end-to-end process for a targeted campaign from strategy to deployment, including use of a Campaign Management tool.
- Experience of delivering CRM programs, in this or other organisations, with goal orientated outcomes including revenue/profit, retention & relationship outcomes.
- An understanding of how best to grow customer value through communications or other interventions.
- Demonstrate customer-centric, clear thinking, strong commercial acumen and able to judge when attention to detail is important.
- Experience of working with and across multiple channels to deliver customer next best activity.
- The ability to prioritise and make decisions quickly.
- Excellent analytical knowledge allowing confident challenge of analytics.
- A solid understanding of the Argos, Habitat, Tu and Sainsbury’s brand, strategy and guidelines.
- A solid understanding of the metrics that drive customer brand perceptions.
- How to influence and engage stakeholders to deliver effective campaigns; can inspire and engage internal colleagues and external teams at all levels, bringing people with them.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker.
- Understand the customer and have the confidence to challenge decisions based on customer impact.
- A passion for customer loyalty and customer-centric CRM programmes, customer insights and customer behavioural analysis.
- Analytical capability, numeracy and quick thinking.
- Commercial awareness.
- Creative thinking and ability to innovate – the ability to test and learn at pace.
- Can set own agenda, identifying new opportunities, balancing multiple priorities, spotting potential/issues before others/before they happen.
What Decisions I Can Make Including Budget
- Decisions relating to the development of the CRM strategy
- Decision related to campaign design and development
- Budget allocation
- Team recruitment and performance
Directly or indirectly manages
- This role will directly manage CRM Executives and indirectly manage offshore CRM Assistants
Resources and support available to me
- Direct report and offshore CRM Marketing teams
- Analytics team
- Digital Marketing and channel execution teams
- Significant cost budget (marketing costs, redemption costs and Nectar points)
- Key agencies
- Support from Head of CRM - GM
In addition to the all-important competitive salary, healthcare, pension & bonus offering, we totally get that life outside work is important to us all. So, we want to shout out some of our other great benefits…
- We offer flexible working to help you achieve a good work/life balance.
- Opportunity to buy extra holidays is on the table.
- Discounts on your weekly shop, buying a laptop or sofa? We’ve got it covered through your Sainsbury’s, Argos and Habitat store discount card.
Work-life balance is important to us, so we offer our colleagues as much flexibility as possible in line with the needs of their role. We trust them to decide how, where and when they work, combining remote and collaborative working with a flexible approach to hours, giving them plenty of time and space for life outside of work whilst delivering against our business goals.