At BBC News, we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of the world’s most trusted news gathering organization.
BBC News is the world’s most trusted source for impartial news. At BBC Studios, our Global News Team delivers and commercializes BBC’s news and fact-based content across digital platforms (Web, App, Streaming and off-platform) to audiences outside the UK.
To build and send emails supporting BBC editorial newsletters program for our ex-UK audience.
Key Responsibilities And Accountabilities
The Email Production Specialist produces and executes email campaigns for BBC Studios focused on our news and editorial content. The majority of the Email Production Specialist’s day to day involves the successful coding, editing, quality assurance (QA) and deployment of email campaigns including editing of existing templates to customizing emails. The Email Production Specialist is a multi-tasking self-starter with strong technical email production, project management, analytical, and communication skills. The Email Production Specialist works with a diverse group of individuals, including journalists, project managers, digital marketers, creative designers, sales teams and analysts.
- Build, QA, and deploy multiple email campaigns per week for various newsletters.
- Maintain subscriber data, imports, and segmentation using a combination of tools and databases.
- Set up, configure, and manage marketing automation campaigns.
- Stay up to date with software, hardware, and email client spaces to adapt responsive templates and emails accordingly.
- Execute a high-volume, high-quality workload for a world renown organization in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative environment.
- Escalate issues impacting production cycle dependencies and deadlines.
- Facilitate production calls to plan and prioritize requests and adjust course if business requires.
- Act as the subject matter expert on email campaign operations – distribute, create, communicate and apply best practices and learnings to continually improve results.
- Suggest operational and workflow improvements to constantly improve in house production process.
- Work with stakeholders to compile relevant content and assets while managing expectations and production schedules.
- Implement testing strategies, such as A/B testing, to optimize campaigns and programs.
- Follow quality assurance plans and protocol to ensure flawless execution and deployment.
- Implement deliverability and email rendering best practices
Knowledge, Skills, Training & Experience
The Ideal Candidate
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
- A hybrid between being a strategic thinker and driver of operational excellence
- Desire to learn and passion to understand new technologies
- Collaborative, understanding and persistent
- A strong appreciation for editorial process and newsroom dynamics
- Excellent communication skills
- Takes proactive ownership of projects and has a bias for action
- Agile mindset and dedicated to continuous improvement.
Knowledge & Skills
- Must have technical email production experience and proficient knowledge of CSS, HTML, Excel, responsive email design.
- Resourceful problem-solver who quickly gathers information and is comfortable with new technologies and concepts.
- Strong knowledge of, and direct experience with enterprise-level Email Service Providers and CRM platforms (Salesforce Marketing Cloud a plus).
- Understanding of email marketing concepts, metrics, tools, technology, KPIs and industry best practices, such as deliverability and sender reputation.
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements as they relate to direct marketing and customer management programs (e.g., privacy regulations, CAN-SPAM Act, data management, etc.).
- Ability to thrive and meet aggressive goals and timelines in a fast-paced high-volume, and ever-changing environment.
- 1-2 years experience in email marketing production
- Knowledge of Salesforce Marketing Cloud AMPscript is a plus.
- Coordination and prioritization of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and a very strong attention to detail.
About The BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.