Understood is a social impact non-profit like no other. Our cause is to support the 1 in 5 individuals who have learning and thinking differences like ADHD and dyslexia, and we're passionate about our work. By taking an innovative digital-first approach, we create tools, content, and experiences that help people discover their potential, take control, find community, and stay on a positive path. Come be part of an organization with an entrepreneurial spirit that's helping to shape the world for difference. To learn more about Understood, please visit: www.understood.org.
About The Position
In this leadership role, the Associate Director, Email Marketing will be responsible for overseeing a holistic email strategy that enriches Understood’s relationship with users by delivering great experiences at key moments in the customer lifecycle. The email strategy you’ll develop should explore email as a product extension in addition to a stand alone offering. You will also support product launches, onboarding, engagement, retention and other marketing programs. Reporting to the Director of Product Marketing, you will oversee the team charged with the execution of effective email campaigns from conception to launch, managing a robust database, and uncovering new ways to engage stakeholders. This role is highly collaborative and will work in close partnership with team leads across marketing, product, partnerships, editorial, analytics and data science to deliver growth, behavior change, and impact.
- Develop and direct email strategy to acquire, engage and retain users across all products and offerings, on and off platform
- Lead and develop a team of email professionals providing opportunities for career growth while also maximizing efficiency
- Oversee and help the team prioritize growth tests and engagement strategies that drive the most impact for products, features, and initiatives
- Develop annual and quarterly plans that map to organizational objectives
- Collaborate with social, paid media, editorial, and other teams to deliver on holistic strategy across all channels
- Drive a comprehensive analysis of email performance and impact and communicate regularly to leadership tying back results to organization goals
- Ensure the consistent health and growth of our email database
- Recommend effective marketing tech stack programs, and drive implementation and training, resulting in increased efficiencies and optimized workflows
- Manage project timelines, budget, approval process and final execution, with input and buy-in from appropriate partners
- 8+ years of direct experience in email marketing or CRM programming
- At least 1 to 2 years’ experience with email service providers (ESP): MailChimp and ActiveCampaign; ActiveCampaign certification preferred
- Experience managing a team
- Proven track record of driving CRM strategy to achieve business goals
- Significant experience in email analytics and application of behavioral data for personalization
- Deep understanding of email best practices including audience segmentation and lead nurturing techniques
- Experience with setting KPIs, OKRs and overall program management
- Bachelor’s degree required
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Skilled in list management & segmentation, automation, data analytics, testing and SEO copywriting
- Experience in lead scoring a plus
- Knowledgeable about email design and layout as well as content management
- Experienced with HTML/CSS
- Exceptional people management skills
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Excellent project management and communication skills
- Problem-solver with analytical skills, strategic thinking and operational acumen
- Excels in a fast paced, collaborative, cross-functional environment
- Strong work ethic and high standards of excellence
- Familiarity with Airtable, Jira, Looker, Miro, Google Slides, Docs and Sheets
Please Note:Understood requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please reach out to Katie Aholt, Director of People Engagement and Operations.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Understood encourages individuals of all learning styles, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, including those whose life experiences may include the challenge of access due to a disability, to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to supporting this work.
Understood is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, stalking, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state, or local law or that of persons with whom that individual associates, or any other legally protected characteristics.
For additional information on learning and attention issues, including ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, executive functioning issues, nonverbal learning disabilities, processing issues, and more, please visit www.understood.org.